18+ Rated games - should they be released.

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
Well as many you know there are individuals that believe these games should not be sold in retail stores because minors will purchase the games. Only one huge problem there are billions of adults that want their MA rated games, unedited, uncut, and bringing it all.

A prime example of an individual that appears to be against the release of MA rated videogames is Florida lawyer Jack Thompson. Why he is against MA rated videogames and the logic of not having them sold at all are questionable. Two titles that Thompson has tried to have banned or not released where Rockstar's Bully and Grand Theft Auto IV.

Now it is true there are minors playing games that they should not be playing due to the ESRB rating, and the fact that the games contain adult material not suited for minors in the first case. So who is the sole person responsible for making sure that minors do not play these games? The parent or legal guardian is the person(s) responsible for the things that their child is exposed to.

Grand Theft Auto 3 and beyond

wikipedia said:
Grand Theft Auto (GTA) is a video game series created and primarily developed by Scottish developer Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design), published by Rockstar Games and debuted in 1998. It includes seven stand-alone games and two expansion packs for the original, GTA: London 1969 and GTA: London 1961. Grand Theft Auto III and subsequent games in the series have been best-selling blockbusters which have also gained critical acclaim, including several game of the year awards from various sources. In addition, the series has emerged as being so popular and profitable that a long list of Hollywood stars have lent their voices to the games. Gangster film veterans such as Michael Madsen, Samuel L. Jackson, James Woods, Joe Pantoliano, Frank Vincent, Robert Loggia and Ray Liotta have all voiced major characters. The names of the series and its games are derived from "grand theft auto", a term referring to motor vehicle theft.
Are some of the most popular games for PC, XBOX, XBOX360, PS2 and PS3. Is it because of the violence freedom and unique creative ideas, more then likely yes. As it is better for someone to do the things possible in a videogame then it is for them to do do it in real life. Some may argue that people that commit murders, and other horrible acts of mankind are due to videogames. This of course cannot be caused by videogames due to the free will that people have which means the individual is responsible for all choices they make and should endure the responsibility of the consequences related to the choice the individual made.

I for one am a gamer and have never thought of doing anything I have done in a videogame, simply because I always know the difference between reality and the gaming world. There are the select few of individuals that do not and those people should refrain from playing games, videos, or doing anything that can cause them to mix the two up and believe they are apart of reality.

So remember to keep safe and if you are not old enough to purchase what is before you do not purchase it or buy it from someone that can.

Who do you believe should be responsible and why?

Sources:
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/03/16/breaking-take-two-sues-jack-thompson
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4455&Itemid=2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_%28series%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#_note-8

Last edited:

Budo7

The Parents, to me its a no brainier. Even though I am divorced, one thing that me and my ex talk about is the movies and the games the kids are allowed to view or play.
As soon as folks understand what a parents job is the better we all will be.

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I'd definitely have to agree with you on that one. If a movie or game is rated MA 18+ or even Teen 13+ or Rated R, and the kid is 12 then they shouldn't be able to lay their eyes a working copy of the game especially if there kid is a weirdo.

As there are too many parents that will get their kid anything without checking it out. If the kid is mature then hey it may be ok but 95% of the time the kid is not, and gets sucked into the game and can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy. It's not up to the seller or the publisher/developer to keep the games out of the kids hands it's the parents/parental guardian hands down.

Plus the gamers that are 18+ bought the game with one of the reasons being there were not going to be children playing it and they wanted a mature game to play. Why let kids destroy that experience.

Budo7

I tell you why parents buy any thing the kids want, because they want the kids to think they have cool parents, or they use the games as a baby sitter.

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
Yep the responsibility of some parents have gone downhill but there are still those that have a good eye on if their child can handle a mature game. Nothing worse then playing a game having great teamwork going on and you have a kid jump in with their high pitched voice and teamkill everyone, or start shooting like crazy while you are trying to move in stealth to complete an objective and laugh and say I was only have fun guys.

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
I think there should be more 18+ rated games out there. As playing games rated Teen can get pretty boring after awhile. :smiley:

Plus the chances of finding kids on the 18+ games are lower as some of the kids play in secrecy while their parents are sleeping.:eek: