A few questions about virtual computers

Budo7

1. I read it ( I think in pc mag) that running a virtual machine will prevent virus and malware getting on your system, is this true by any chance?
2. What is the best software for doing this,
3. How do you do this, and if its true that it prevents the bad crap getting on my machine, what else is it good for?

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
1. I read it ( I think in pc mag) that running a virtual machine will prevent virus and malware getting on your system, is this true by any chance?
It can stop most viruses trojans, etc. from actually getting out to your machine if your host machine has protection. There are known instances where a trojan, virus etc. have escaped their virtual environment and infected the host machine.
2. What is the best software for doing this,
VMWARE Server (Free), VMWARE Workstation, WMWARE Player (Free can use prebuilt VMWARE enviroments), are very good products to use and above the highest in quality out there (VMWARE Workstation). Microsoft has an application that is free but has less features called Microsoft Virtual PC and Microsoft Virtual Server and there is Virtual Box
3. How do you do this, and if its true that it prevents the bad crap getting on my machine, what else is it good for?
All you would have to do to get VMWare working is download the software from their site and install on your machine. Once you have the software installed you can take any operating disc (physical or iso) and install it on a VMWARE Virtual Machine. For instance if you wanted to try out Debian Linux you would mount the Virtual Machine with the iso mounted and install and your good to go. It works really good with your network connection, wireless or wired as Microsoft Virtual PC does not work very well with wireless.

As to the keeping viruses off your machine, if your virtual pc gets infected there is a low chance of the infection actually infecting your host machine unless the author of the virus specifically designed it to bypass VMWARE's security. I don't know if Microsoft's Virtual PC is as secure or Virtual Server

Last edited:

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
I have never used that site before. Looks pretty nice though, but I already have most of the images they currently have. :D