Problem with my connection for Call of Duty 4

Darvocet

So I recently got Call of Duty 4 and the single player worked fine and was awesome (but really short!) the multiplayer has been giving me a major problem that is making it almost unplayable though and any help on resolving this would be gteat! Anyway, no matter what server I go to I've been having this issue so I'm thinking I might be able to fix it using the console or something... anyway, I've been getting what seems to be packet loss/lag spikes (My ping will be initially something like 110-130 and it will every, saaayy, 4 seconds jump up to either like 600 or like 900, and it'll make me warp and reaaaaalllly messes my game up) and then maybe like every 10-12 seconds it'll say "Connection Interrupted" but just real briefly, like it'll flash up on my screen.... anyway, I've never had any problems on any other games with my broadband connection, and it's rated at 7 megs d/l 900 kb upload.. I know it's not my graphics card either cuz I have a GeForce 7800 GTX. I'm completely stumped as to why this is happening, but it does, no matter what server I go on, and I made sure they were in the U.S. too... any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Peter.

P.S. I've tried turning off all other programs, including processes that are associated with my user name, I've looked at how it performs with other games and it doesn't spike, I've tried opening the port that I think the game uses (28960) with both TCP and UDP on my firewall and I've done speed tests that have shown my downloads to be anywhere from 2500k to 3500k and about 450 upload. Here are my system specs:

Pentium D 3.0 GHZ 2 GB of RAM, GeForce 7800 GTX, 320 gigs of hd space, SB Audigy Z and my DSL connection is rated at
7 megs with 900 upload but I really normally get about half of each of those... it's running on a DSL modem directly connected to my computer via Ethernet, with a wireless router so my roommate can use it, the wireless is WAP encrypted so it should just be us 2 using it, and I have this problem even when he's not home and his computer is off.

Anyway, I know it's a novel, I'm sorry about that, but if you can think of anything I might be able to do to remedy the situation, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! Peter.

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh as this is for COD4 Infinity Ward is having master server problems.
But just to test and make sure that is the problem and not your PC or internet.

In rare cases you may have to open up the ports for the dedicated server on your client machine.

UDP 20800
UDP 20810
UDP 28960

You may also have to verify your key in the multiplayer options. Also if you have access to your modem try a direct connect (temporary) while trying to connect to the server. As your router could be messing/filtering up the UDP packets that are being sent to you.

Darvocet

Okay, I'm getting close to success, I think! I at least have figured out that it's not a Call of Duty 4 specific problem... in fact, my internet connection is doing this all the time, and for some reason it was only noticeable to me in CoD4... when run cmd.exe and type ping google.com -t... about, every 4 or 5 "hops" I get a ping of around 1000 ms. The person who advised me this way said that it happened to him and that Wireless Zero was the problem for him, he advised disabling it and finding an alternative. Unfortunately, my router is attached to my modem and I received no alternative networking software, so I'm going to try and find some, but if anyone has a good alternative, I'd appreciate a link :) ... also, when I disabled Wireless Zero in services.msc, the spikes still occurred, which worries me. HeartSmasher, I don't know how to get a direct connection anymore than I currently am, as the router is built into the modem, and the modem is directly connected to my computer via ethernet. I have a Qwest (2wire) 2700HG-D modem... anyway, at least I realize it's not a problem specific to CoD4 now, which relieves me :) any other advice on overcoming this would be greatly appreciated!

Tracker

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest calling up your ISP during the spikes and ask them why you are getting them. If they say they are not doing maintenance, or don't put caps or send out reset packets then you may want to have them come take a look at your line. As constant peaks in ping should not really be affected by having wireless internet if you have a good signal or wired if the network is not congested.